Monday, February 25, 2013

Taming my scraps...

Monday night I spent a while doing the menial task of scrap management. I use a medium-sized trash can to hold all of my larger scraps and strips while sewing. I had the whole thing filled to overflowing, so I really needed to do something with my scraps. I don't really use them much, mainly because I just think they are all weird shapes and unruly. So, I figured I'd start to make them a little more organized tonight.

I barely made a dent in the bin. Most of the scraps I went through were left overs from the gray and yellow triangle quilt I put together in December. So, the shapes were all weird, lopsided diamonds or triangles.

So what did I do with them? I cut the scraps in to 2 inch squares!

It took a few hours to get this many squares cut. The top of the bin had the gray and yellow fabrics and also several Christmas which I separated out. I also picked out a few blues/Americana prints to keep separated out as well.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with these yet. Part of me wants to make a really large postage stamp quilt. But - another very logical part of me says that would be ridiculous! The pieces are too small and it would take me forever to put together.

More realistically, I'll use these for some mug rugs or postage stamp baby quilts. I could also make some really tiny half square triangles to make into a table runner or wall hanging - something of that sort.

Here's my new scrap bin. I don't really want to keep scraps that are smaller than the 2 inch squares I'm making. I know I'll never use them, so I'm not going to bother with them. Some of the scraps in the box are larger pieces but due to their weird shape I can't get a 2 inch piece out of them.

So, what would you do with either the 2 inch squares or the smaller scraps? Got any ideas for me? :) Happy crafting everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I also cut my smallest scraps into 2.5 inch squares. I give everything else to my kids to play with. I look forward to seeing what people say because otherwise I'd probably just throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut my scraps into 2 1/2" strips and then sub cut to 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 bricks. Everything else goes into a bag which I give to a true scrap quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a project for the "tinies" http://heartspunquilts.blogspot.com/2013/01/pocket-patchwork-orphans-scraps-part_25.html
    It would make a beauty of a pincushion...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been saving all my "useless scraps", and I mean everything, to use as stuffing for a puff/ ottoman. I have about 1/2 large trash bag full.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please!
    Do not throw out the scraps!
    But then, I do keep all fabrics that are larger than 1/8th of an inch to create with and the smaller tidbits go out for the birds for their nests.
    The Art Teacher at your local elementary school would welcome these smaller pieces as would many a quilter and crafter!
    These pieces would also be perfect for miniture dresden brooch's just in time for spring!
    Here is a link to my blog with directions for the minature dresden brooch. http://sowingstitches.blogspot.com/2013/01/without-any-further-delay.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe a giveaway? Unless you have a friend that might want to go through them. I have this co worker that I just learned also quilts. I'm dying to see if she wants to swap scraps. scraps are my favorite because you get so much more variety. Also, if you ever make anything that requires stuffing, I always use my scrap thread, and fabric that is too small to do anything with for stuffing. I used up a sizable amount of my scraps for a doll pillow the other day (mind you they were smaller than an inch. I keep anything bigger. call me a hoarder I guess.) and the pillow was perfectly formed and even soft. not soft enough for a human, but I did say a doll pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about a giveaway too. Maybe once I have them all cut down and more organized then I'll throw all of the extraneous scraps into a bag to give away. I'd like them to go to someone who will show them some love. :)

      Delete
    2. I have been making Double Irish Chain quilts. I cut my scraps into 2" squares, have made two blue quilts, one pink single irish chain, and am cutting all of my '30s fabric pieces into squares to make another double irish chain....maybe 2 baby quilts or a couple twin bed size. It looks like I could make a king size

      Delete
    3. I cut my scraps into 2" squares. I have made a twin size single irish chain, a blue double bed double irish chain, a king size blue double irish chain, and currently am cutting 30s fabrics into 2" pieces. Maybe a couple baby quilts? It looks like there are enough squares to make a king size! Lol...

      Delete
  7. I thought I would also suggest maybe selling a scrap bag on ebay? I love looking for scraps on ebay. I sell stuff on there for extra money for fabric. it gets used on ebay for fabric lots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if a scrap is smaller than 2", then try covering buttons to use on craft items. or you could use them weird shape ones when you are making cards etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these ideas too! Maybe I'll save some of the Christmas scraps for the homemade Christmas cards I make every year. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...