Sunday, May 6, 2012

Design Wall

I love having a design wall! Why didn't I put something up before now!?! I've really been meaning to get something up for a while now, but for some reason I never got around to it. Finally, while I was going through my tiny fabric stash, I came across some old brown flannel I used for a baby quilt for my godson Avrey. 

The brown looked much cuter in the quilt than it does on my wall. Actually, here's a picture of the quilt I made a little over 3 years ago. I tied it with dark brown yarn instead of any top quilting and the blue and yellow flannel prints have cartoon zoo animals on them. I really had nothing else to use this fabric for, so I'm really happy it works up on my blank craft room wall! Now it actually looks like a craft room! (I just need to get it a little more organized...)

I was actually a bit skeptical that any fabric would stick to the flannel. I gave it a test run on a few pieces, decided it would work, and stuck it to the wall with thumb tacks. It's not as wide as I would like it to be, but I think it works for now. 

I laid out some more of the scraps from the Super Mario quilt into some granny squares. I really want to make one of those quilts, but I don't know if I really like these colors with a gray and black center. Part of me thinks I should just have each type of fabric make up the whole block instead of having an outer ring and the darker center. Or maybe it should be more white in the center instead of gray? I'll have to do some playing around with it. The more I look at the way I have them laid out now, the more they grow on me. I think I might just leave them as is. Oh, decisions, decisions!

The real test will be whether or not my cats will leave this alone on the wall. My guess is no, since they already try to swat at picture frames, nails, lamps and anything else around the house. I'll just have to leave the door to this room shut so they leave it alone. Poor cats - all of this crafty stuff lying around and they're not supposed to get into any of it. What a cruel world they live in. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be seeing more of this design wall as I get used to it and as I play around with my granny squares idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with! Happy quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...